Should math be removed as a requirement for non majors?

Monday, December 6, 2010

In my last blog, I talked about the problem of math requirements in colleges. Now I will propose a remedy.
For all college students whose majors do not involve any kind of math, the colleges should exempt them from taking math. Math is a beautiful subject for people who have the capacity to understand and excel at it .   However for students who's weakest area is math but are fantastic in other areas such as English, Art, Language, or History why should math be the sole subject that holds them back from excelling in their strengths?

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree with this entire thing. I feel as thought Math is forced upon students and can immensely decrease their GPA. The placement test requirement is also a little bit absurd. It seems ridiculous to have a requirement in something such as Math especially if you are an English major. However, I do feel that there is a slight double standard here. I do feel that Math majors should be required to take English because it is something that will always be necessary regardless. It is used every single day where math is not necessary used that often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you said. Math has always been my weakest subject througout school and math was also my lowest subject on my SAT's. I agree that math should not be required for someone like me who is a psychology major. I would love to remove math from college requirements for non-math majors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although math is important in life, it does seem a little silly to bombard non math majors with the subject. It is important, however for students to comprehend the basics of mathmatics. If they do not, then it appears intelligent to make it a requirement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally enjoy math but also feel that for others, they should not be required to take an excess amount of it. Maybe a course, but not a ton of them

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright I'm going to go out on a limb and mainly disagree with you on this one. I know too many people who hate math and still can't count out the right change on a register. If those of us who are best at math have to be "bombarded" with English, Art Language and History I think it is only fair that those who struggle with math have to take one or two classes in it. Plus, forcing you to take a math class yes might hurt your GPA but overall if you pay attention and take the time to do the work, it will overall benefit you. After all everyone has to do their taxes - you'll be grateful for your college math classes then! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate math too. But I know how important math is in our daily lives so I am happy that I have math as a core requirement. I also believe that every one is equally able at maths if they work at it.I mean, if every one puts equal effrots why should one do better at math than the other. You might have noticed that most Asians are very good at math. It is because in our culture math is emphasised alot since the very beginning. Math is really one subjet which requires alot to practice and patience, it does not require you to be a genius. All of us can do it if we work properly at it.

    ReplyDelete