Should math be removed as a requirement for non majors?

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Colleges have not yet removed math as a requirement for non-majors and they probably will not remove it in the near future but I wanted to pose a question.  How do they define "basic math"? For most colleges, basic math is Algebra. The problem with this though is that if a student does not even learn Algebra in high school because of a prescribed curriculum, how will algebra be "basic" to them? The student then often struggles through algebra in college because they are learning it for the very first time and nsas.undergrad.rutgers.edu/academicsot reviewing it.

4 comments:

  1. Rosie! I totally agree! In high school, I had excellent math teachers, and that has really helped me in studying for my first and final math course that I have to take in college. But quite honestly, because I am a special education and english major, why should I have to take math at all? When I hear the words "basic math," I think of equations such as 2+2, but as you said, some people may define basic math as algebra 1 or 2. What defines "basic math" is truly a good point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosie, I can understand where you are coming from. In high school I had to take alegra my freshman year and I was so lost, because my math class in elemenary barely started pre-algrebra!! It was very frustrating. However, I do not think colleges should remove math as a core requirement, because I believe the purpose of pursuing a college education is not only to receive training in a specific field, but also to be a well-rounded individual.I do agree than students come from all different abilities and different high school math curriculum and therefore some will be just reviewing material while some will have to learn everything. But I think it is okay if some might have to learn math, instead of just reviewing it, as we come to college become educated individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that for those not majoring in a subject that is heavily reliant on math should not have to take a math course in college. I think the basic math learned in middle school is even enough to get you through like. All you need is adding, subtracting, multiplication, divisions, fractions, decimals and possible a little Algebra to survive in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog questioning the relevance of requiring math of all students in college is similar to the blog in section 2 entitled "liberal arts" (you can access it through blackboard) and you should check it out. Seems like there are a lot of young, college students out there questioning the relevance of math or many of the liberal arts. I have a different take the necessity of taking math or any subject not related to your field, career choice and/or major. When I went to college, I knew that I was going to major in history, but I also knew that I wanted to learn everything I possibly could about everything. I guess I'm just a different kind of person because the idea of learning as much as possible about everything, especially if I don't know the subject has always excited me. I possess three degrees and I still want to learn more. Math has never, ever been a favorite subject of mine but it seems to me that in the current world, with so much emphasis on finances and how those finances are or are not properly added up, that math is essential.

    ReplyDelete